Lemon berry banana loaf
Leftover berries and bananas? Here’s a wonderful way to put them to delicious use. This jazzed up version of banana bread has a kiss of lemon and cinnamon, and bursts of luscious berries, to add to the usual moist, dense loaf. The cranberries can be fresh or frozen.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 1 cup banana mashed
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, and lightly grease a loaf pan that measures 8 1/2 inches X 4 1/2 inches.
- In a large bowl, measure the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir together to blend.
- Add the lemon zest, and stir into the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, add the mashed banana and lemon juice. Mix together to thoroughly combine.
- In a third bowl, beat the sugar and butter together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, then the sour cream, beating until well combined. Next, add the mashed banana/lemon mixture.
- Add about a half to a third of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, and stir until well combined. Repeat until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- When the batter is well blended, stir in the walnuts and cranberries, but only just until they are distributed throughout the mixture. Avoid over-mixing.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan, and even out the batter on top.
- Place in the oven, and bake for 50 - 60 minutes. It is done when the top has begun to split, and a clean knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Notes: Variations – try orange with blueberries, lemon and raspberries, lemon and/or orange with strawberries.