Spring veggie markets opening up
May 4, 2022
The spring vegetable crops are coming on strong and shaping a good selection for ad promoting. Here are some choices for building advertising promotions.
- Romaine, green and red leaf lettuce: Quality is good with fairly good demand out of Salinas, CA — the market is a bit higher.
- Asparagus: Demand is good with a higher market and an increase in Peruvian production. New Jersey product is now in seasonal availability with the U.S. supply coming on strong.
- Broccoli and broccoli crowns: A good supply is coming out of California. Demand is moderate on a lower market, which is excellent for promoting.
- Sweet corn: The market is lower with good volume of spring corn from Florida as the crop moves into Georgia and a good supply in the West out of the Imperial Valley.
- Kale and bunched spinach: Very good quality with moderate demand and a steady supply, which is great to promote in the fresh greens section.
- Celery: Alert list item — the market is higher with quality issues raising the market — seeders are developing within the stalks.
- Seedless cucumbers: The market is very promotable with good supply, moderate demand and excellent clean quality out of Canadian greenhouses.
- Colored Bell peppers: Supplies are increasing out of Canada with a steady market, moderate demand, leading to very promotable loose or packaged product — quality is excellent on greenhouse peppers.