NWPB communications efforts to focus on value, versatility
The National Watermelon Promotion Board’s spring and summer 2022 consumer program is going to capitalize on watermelon’s value and versatility benefits with a launch of a Use the Whole Watermelon 2.0. campaign.
“We will educate, influence and advertise the 100 percent edible, Zero Food Waste message to media, educators, health professionals and consumers through digital, print and streaming outlets,” said Stephanie Barlow, senior director of communications for the NWPB.
The Use the Whole Watermelon story will be updated with fresh branding and a new campaign landing page, where consumers can virtually break down a watermelon to understand its parts, its benefits and how to use each delicious piece,” according to Barlow.
“Refreshed and on-trend instructional and inspirational videos will visualize the butchery and cooking process. These virtual experiences will be packaged for consumers and professional audiences like media and dietitians, as well as challenge influencer partners to share inspiration year-long,” she said, adding that paid social and streaming ads will reach targeted audiences to direct them back to the landing page and continue the journey.
Use the Whole Watermelon is the ultimate encapsulation for telling the watermelon value and sustainability story, allowing NWPB to combat purchase barriers and double down on multi-use, zero-waste and rind education.
“The sustainability message specifically refers to lessening a consumer’s food waste footprint by using the whole watermelon, creating less waste at home and less waste going to landfills,” said Barlow.
Other major activations for the year include the following programs:
- Influencer partnership program with dietitians, fitness and foodie experts
- Partnership with Ross Chastain in NASCAR Cup Series
- Consumer events return including the Marine Corps Marathon
- Jump with Jill digital tour nationwide in-school outreach for students and advertising of Teacher Toolkit resources to educators
- Media monitoring for earned media placements in print and video, paid feature placements of watermelon stories
- Watermelon.org website content and @WatermelonBoard social media editorial calendars deliver fresh content every week of the year
- Broadcasting TV commercial content moves from YouTube to Hulu and Spotify
- New watermelon asset creation in photography and video, with new recipes, product shots, lifestyle shots and recipe/how-to videos as well as new Grower Story videos.
“There is much more that the communications program works at throughout the year to keep watermelon top of mind for consumers,” said Barlow. “Summer is just around the corner, it’s about to be Rind Time.”