Orange tomato bisque with shrimp
Orange and tomatoes make a luscious pairing, chock full of both goodness and taste. This soup adds subtle seasonings to keep the focus on the fresh fruits, along with a few juicy shrimp we’ll add for protein. It’s sure to become a comfort food favorite.
- 12 medium tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 oranges zest & juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 pound shrimp peeled & deveined
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 °F.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, and place them in a single layer, cut side down, on a baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with on tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Roast for about 20 minutes, or until the skins begin to blister and char.
- Remove from the oven. You should easily be able to remove the skin at this point.
- Chop the tomatoes and set aside for now.
- In a large soup pot, heat the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil and add the garlic. Cook for about a minute until fragrant.
- Next, add the sweet yellow and spring onions and sauté for another three to five minutes, until tender.
- Stir in the tomato paste and roasted tomatoes.
- Next add the broth, rosemary and orange juice, stirring until well blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil, and then turn down the heat. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Add the orange zest in the last
- Process in a blender until smooth, and then return to the pot.
- Reheat, adding the shrimp. Cook for another five minutes or so until the shrimp are pink and cooked all the way through.
- Add the cherry tomato quarters during the last minute or two to heat through.