30-Minute chorizo and tomato steamed mussels
These flavor-packed chorizo and Tomato Steamed Mussels are a delicious one-pot dinner that comes together in less than 30 minutes! Try something new and give your taste buds time to explore something not everyone has had. Steaming mussels may seem like a scary recipe but it can be simple and fast – no to mention delicious. For the best results be sure to use Pure Flavor Cloud 9 Bite Sized Fruity Tomatoes! They give the perfect pop of sweet tomato flavor to every bite!
Considering how impressive a big pot of steaming hot mussels is, this recipe is surprisingly simple to make. This one-pot mussels recipe makes the most of a few quality ingredients to create a deliciously fancy meal that takes less than a half-hour to prepare. Serve it with warm crusty bread to soak up all the delicious juices and you will be in seafood heaven!
WHY CHOOSE PURE FLAVOR –
By now I’m sure you know I am a big fan of Pure Flavor produce and these sweet and juicy Pure Flavor Cloud 9 Bite Sized Fruity Tomatoes add the perfect pop of flavor to every bite!
These Cloud 9 Tomatoes are one of my favorite Pure Flavor products and have won the International Taste Institute’s Superior Taste Award and the Chef’s Best Award for Excellence. They truly are the best bite-sized tomatoes on the market and make this mussel recipe truly something special.
In addition to tasting great, Pure Flavor is committed to ensuring the highest quality greenhouse grown produce. Pure Flavor treats its growers, employees and customers with the utmost respect, which is something I can really get behind. Knowing that you can find their products all year-round means that you never have to sacrifice flavor when something seems “out of season.” Greenhouse-grown means that you can count on the availability, quality, and flavor!
EQUIPMENT YOU’LL NEED –
- Large Dutch oven pot with a lid
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Garlic press
- Bite-size Tomatoes: For the best results be sure to use the award-winning Cloud 9 Bite Sized Fruity Tomatoes. They give the perfect pop of sweet tomato flavor to every bite!
- Spanish chorizo: Spanish chorizo differs slightly from some of the other chorizos you might find in the grocery store. It is a dried cured pork sausage that is already cooked and ready to eat. This differs from Mexican-style chorizo which is typically a fresh sausage that will need to be cooked through.
- Shallots: These are more mellow in flavor however feel free to substitute with a small mild onion if preferred or more easily accessible.
- Garlic cloves: I highly recommend using fresh crushed garlic (rather than the prepared minced garlic) for this recipe. It makes a big difference in flavor.
- Red pepper flakes: Feel free to omit for a milder dish or add more to crank up the heat.
- White wine: Any dry white wine that you enjoy drinking will work.
- Mussels: Ideally you will want to use fresh mussels that have been scrubbed clean and debearded.
- Salt & pepper
- Parsley (optional): I like serving this dish topped with fresh chopped parsley.
RECIPE FAQS –
- How do I know if the mussels are fresh? Fresh mussels should not smell overly fishy and the shells should be closed tightly. If any shells are open press it closed. If it doesn’t stay closed the mussel is most likely dead and should be thrown away along with any broken shells in the bag.
- How do I clean mussels? I recommend purchasing fresh mussels that have already been scrubbed and debearded. Before cooking, place the mussels in a colander and rinse with cold water. If you notice any muddy spots or seaweed in or around the shells gently remove it.
- How do I know when the mussels have finished cooking? You will know that mussels are fully cooked when the shells have all opened. Discard any mussels with closed shells.
- What if I can’t find Spanish chorizo? If you cannot find Spanish chorizo you can substitute it with another cured sausage such as andouille or a well-cured Polish sausage. If you want, you could try using some Mexican-style fresh chorizo. However, you would want to be sure to cook it all the way through before adding the tomatoes.
Elizabeth Jordan-Flight highly recommend serving these chorizo and tomato steamed mussels with chunks of warm crusty bread and a fresh salad. They are the perfect meal to share for your next date night or a great appetizer for entertaining. The key is having fresh ingredients to make this meal full of ideal flavor! Enjoy!