PBH claims September as National Fruits and Veggies Month
The Produce for Better Health Foundation is claiming September as National Fruits and Veggies Month to celebrate all fruits and vegetables and to encourage consumers to eat more every day. Traditionally known as National Fruits and Veggies — More Matters Month, the organization is refining the title to elevate fruit and vegetable consumption as a national priority and to encourage a less-prescriptive approach when talking about and enjoying everyone’s favorite and flavorful plants — fruits and veggies.
The NFVM theme, Have A Plant — Food Rooted In A Better Mood, ties directly to the PBH’s new behavioral science-based call-to-action, Have A Plant. Through its transformational research and consumer insights platform, PBH further established Americans’ need for creative, yet simple advice to help them enjoy more fruits and vegetables each day. The new consumer movement, Have A Plant aims to inspire Americans with actionable, realistic and fun steps to connect eating fruits and vegetables with feeling happier and healthier. And, with more people trying to enjoy plant-packed meals more often, Have A Plant reminds them that all fruits and vegetables are delicious, nutrient-rich plants.
“We know many industry stakeholders and consumer-facing influencers look forward to September as a prime time to focus on categorically promoting fruits and vegetables to consumers, ultimately for the public good, and this year, PBH has an invigorating story to share with the new Have A Plant Movement,” said Wendy Reinhard Kapsak, registered dietitian and PBH president and chief executive officer. “The time is now to celebrate food rooted in a better mood with everyone’s favorite plants — fruits and veggies.”
With nearly 90 percent of Americans falling below fruit and vegetable consumption recommendations, everyone is needed to make a meaningful impact. PBH recommends taking action with these seven steps to show support for National Fruits and Veggies Month and encourage others to join the fun!
1. Join the Have A Plant Movement: Enjoy all the fruits and veggies that you know and love – fresh, frozen, canned, dried and 100% juice – that taste great and are proven to support your health and happiness! Learn more by visiting the “Join Us” page on www.fruitsandveggies.org.
2. Rock the Have A Plant T-shirt: The opportunity to grab your own limited-time edition of PBH’s Have A Plant t-shirts has arrived! Click here to purchase a Have A Plant t-shirt for yourself, your friends, family and colleagues.
3. Follow PBH’s Social Channels: Learn more about National Fruits & Veggies Month, get creative tips/tricks from PBH’s Fruit & Vegetable Ambassadors in Action, and more! Get started here and follow along:
* Facebook: @fruitsandveggies
* Twitter: @fruits_veggies
* Instagram: @fruitsandveggies
* LinkedIn: Produce For Better Health Foundation
4. Take the Have A Plant Pledge: Together let’s commit to adding one more fruit and/or vegetable to your routine, everyday this month. Whether it’s something you’ve been meaning to try, or just experimenting with adding something new to foods you already love, here’s the plan, have a plant. Take the Have A Plant Pledge and download the graphic to share on your social media channels using #haveaplantpledge here.
5. Spread the Fruit and Veggie Love on Social Media: Challenge friends, family, colleagues and your community to get involved in National Fruits & Veggies Month. Doing so makes them more likely to engage in and win PBH’s social media contests but isn’t required. Include the hashtags, #haveaplant, #haveaplantpledge, and #NFVM2019 in any social media posts related to National Fruits & Veggies Month. Download sample posts and graphics here.
6. Chat It Up with PBH FVAA Members: Join in PBH’s September Twitter chat with PBH Fruit and Vegetable Ambassador in Action, Beau Coffron, Lunchbox Dad on Tuesday, Sept. 17 at 2 p.m. ET to learn and share creative ways to pump up fruit and veggie intake using the hashtag, #NFVM2019.
7. Enter Weekly Contests and WIN! Participate in PBH’s weekly social media contests throughout September for a chance to win up to four $150 Amazon gift cards! At the start of each week in September, PBH will release a contest across their social channels.
* Week of 9/2: Take a selfie with or picture of your colorful, plant-powered shopping cart while at the grocery store.
* Week of 9/9: Take a selfie with or picture of a new fruit you tried.
* Week of 9/16: Take a selfie with or picture of a new vegetable you ate.
* Week of 9/23: Take a selfie with or picture of your plant-packed plate.
It’s really that simple. So many people are looking for that superfood that’s good for their mind and body. Some are looking really hard. But foods with those benefits are not off in the distant future. They are not a rare delicacy. They are not some secret. They are fruits and vegetables of any kind, and they are — foods rooted in a better mood. They’re plants. So this September, here’s the plan: Have A Plant. Take the Have A Plant™ Pledge and vow to eat just one more fruit and/or vegetable every single day. It’ll boost your health, and maybe even your mood. #haveaplant #haveaplantpledge #NFVM2019