Organically Grown Co. releases 2022 benefit report
Organically Grown Co., a leading wholesaler, marketer and distributor of fresh organic produce and the first purpose-trust owned company in the United States, released its 2022 Benefit Report to provide a bold and comprehensive overview of its sustainability journey, focusing on the pillars of purpose, people and planet.
“We put everything into our mission to grow the organic agricultural movement,” said Brenna Davis, CEO of Organically Grown Company. “2022 was a year of strong performance. Every decision we made was rooted in respect for the people and the planet we call home, and we made great progress on every front. Running our business in a socially and environmentally responsible manner is at the heart of our success.”
Here are 10 ways OGC led efforts to promote the growth of organic and address climate change and food insecurity through its operations and products, philanthropy and collaborations with partners and growers:
- Sourced fresh produce from more than 345 organic suppliers worldwide.
- Supported Northwest nonprofits dedicated to giving beginning and marginalized farmers access to training, tools and land.
- Reduced Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions by 84 metric tons.
- Reduced garbage generated by 29 percent and diverted 90 percent from the landfill.
- Reduced use of plastic by 95 percent in the banana ripening process by switching to blankets to warm the fruit and kept 750,000 plastic bags out of the waste stream by switching from poly to paper sacks on OGC’s potato bagging line.
- Donated 2.5 percent of after-tax profits to organizations creating an equitable, resilient, and just organic food system.
- Awarded more than $165,000 in Mission Fund grants to 65 purpose-aligned partners to build resilient communities from farm to market.
- Invested $100,000 in organic research and trade advocacy.
- Donated 320 tons of fresh produce to NW gleaning partners.
- Generated nearly $190,000 to improve grower communities in Mexico through the sale of organic bananas and fair-trade certified produce to OGC customers.
View OGC’s full 2022 Benefit Report here: https://www.organicgrown.com/benefit-report