IFPA names Produce Excellence in Foodservice Award winners
The International Fresh Produce Association will celebrate nine of the country's leading chefs and foodservice professionals during IFPA's Foodservice Conference, July 27-28 in Monterey, CA, as part of the Produce Excellence in Foodservice Awards Program, sponsored by FreshEdge.
The program honors chefs and foodservice operations for their produce innovation, creativity and all-around excellence in the use of fresh produce in the culinary arts.
“Fresh produce continues to drive success for the foodservice and culinary sectors, and chefs play a critical role in encouraging consumers to explore produce items,” said Greg Corsaro, president and chief operating officer of FreshEdge. “We are proud of our continued commitment to this exceptional program that honors culinary professionals who are making fresh produce the highlight of their menus.”
The 2023 Produce Excellence in Foodservice Awards winners are:
- Business and Industry: Jeffery David Marlow, Chief Culinary Officer - Executive Vice President, Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma
- Casual & Family Dining Restaurants: Jason Smith, Chef Proprietor, 18 Restaurant Group
- Colleges & Universities: Travis Robert Johnson, Senior Executive Chef, Levy Restaurants at Notre Dame
- Fine Dining Restaurants: Maggie Trujillo, Culinary Director / Chef, Aqua by El Gaucho
- Hospitals & Healthcare: Santana Diaz, Director of Culinary Operations and Innovation, UC Davis Health/Hospital
- Hotels & Resorts: Abel Ace Cabral, Executive Chef, The Grove Country Club
- K-12 School Foodservice: Jeanne Reilly, Director of School Nutrition, RSU #14 Windham Raymond Schools
- Quick Service Restaurants: Kyle Markt, Head Chef, Farmer’s Fridge
- Supermarkets & Retail Operators: Maria Schlueter, Culinary Manager, Oryana Co Op
This year’s winners were selected from nominations submitted by produce companies and foodservice operations. IFPA coordinated a review of each nominee's incorporation and creativity of fresh produce into menu development, use of food-safety protocols for proper produce storage and handling, produce-related outreach or special events and recognition among peers, by their company or both.
The nine winners, along with an executive from their company, will participate in IFPA's Foodservice Conference. They will be presented with their awards as part of the event’s programming.
Registration for IFPA’s Foodservice Conference is available here: https://www.freshproduce.com/events/the-foodservice-conference/.