Square Roots expands partnership with Gordon Food Service
Square Roots, a technology leader in indoor farming, and Gordon Food Service held a ribbon cutting ceremony to celebrate their new indoor farm opening in Michigan, taking another step to expand a shared vision to build indoor farms together across the continent — enabling local food at a global scale.
“In partnering with Square Roots, we are delivering on our ambitions to make nutritious, local produce available to everyone, throughout the year, regardless of the local climate,” said Rich Wolowski, CEO of Gordon Food Service.
“This new indoor farm in Michigan means we can grow delicious, local food, all year round, in responsible ways,” said Tobias Peggs, co-founder and CEO at Square Roots. “We have an exciting roadmap to build additional indoor farms across the continent with Gordon Food Service, as we work to ensure that the future of food can be good for people and the planet, as well as good business."
Located at the Gordon Food Service headquarters in Wyoming, MI, the new farm was deployed in just three months using Square Roots’ modular, smart-farm technology platform. Inside the farm, Square Roots uses its proprietary, cloud-connected software to constantly monitor and control multiple climates, enabling its farmers to grow a wide range of crops to meet a variety of local market needs.
Square Roots produce is widely available at grocery stores, including Gordon Food Service Stores and through Gordon Food Service customer restaurants, and on e-commerce platforms across the Great Lakes region. Square Roots is seeking to address a $35.4 billion total produce category at retail.
In addition to its farming operations, Square Roots continues to invest in the Midwest — recently opening a 5,000-square-foot manufacturing facility in the region, where it now creates and assembles key components for future farms.
● Square Roots operates two indoor farms in Michigan, with the capacity to produce over 2.4 million packages of herbs and leafy greens annually. Approximately 50,000 plants are grown at any given time in each farm.
● Square Roots grows a wide variety of produce, including herbs like basil, dill, parsley, and cilantro; microgreens; and salad mixes.
● Square Roots’ commitment to the local community has created over 30 jobs in the Great Lakes region. These local roles include farm managers, growers, engineers, delivery drivers, technicians and produce packers.
● Square Roots offers extensive ongoing training opportunities for employees, in addition to full benefits, ownership in Square Roots, and accelerated career paths to propel professional advancement.
● Square Roots farms are built in cities to dramatically reduce food miles. This results in ultra-high quality produce for consumers, and practically eliminates food waste in the supply chain. The company's hydroponic growing systems re-circulate the water used to grow crops, allowing for the use of 95 percent less water than conventional farming methods. All Square Roots produce is in 100 percent recyclable packaging.
● All Square Roots farms are Harmonized Good Agricultural Practices certified, in line with the USDA’s standards, and operate to strict COVID-19 protocols to keep farmers and the local community safe.